Light, quick and easy to make
This is fabulously delicious and as a bonus, it is simple to make and healthy. I have served it to many friends and it’s enthusiastically received every time with many requests for the recipe. This is quicker and easier to make than traditional Apple Charlotte. As it doesn’t need any cooking it can be prepared in an instant.
It makes a delightful Summery dessert, ideal for parties, barbecues or just any day pudding. It’s light but satisfying and delicious.
Which Flaxjacks to use?
Almost all Flaxjacks are great in this recipe, traditional, plain or fruity, or for a healthier alternative with less sugar try sugar-free Carrot Cake, Courgette and Apple, Low Sugar Vanilla, Fruit Cake or Molasses. If your Flaxjacks have got a bit dry they are even better for making the crumbly layer. If you only have Chocolate Tiffin Flaxjacks then Pears or Oranges work much better than Apple – see the Chocolate Tiffin and Fruit Dessert.
- 2 x Golden Vanilla Flaxjacks
- 1 or 2 Apples (Depending on size. 1 large Bramley is ideal)
- Stevia, honey, maple syrup or other sweetener (Equivalent of about 2-5 teaspoons of sugar or to taste)
- Half juice of a lemon
- 1 Half inch piece of raw root ginger (optional)
- 200 ml of natural toghurt
- A few berries for garnish (optional)
- A couple of mint or lemon balm leaves (optional)
- 2 tablespoons of ground almonds (or other ground nuts or seeds)
- Cut a couple of small cubes off a Flaxjack and reserve as a garnish. Put Flaxjacks in a food processor and whiz to crumbs or chop small. Then add Ground Almonds to the crumbs and mix.
- Whiz Apples and Ginger (if using) in a food processor or grate. Add Lemon Juice and Sweetener immediately (stops the Apples going brown).
- Assemble in glasses or suitable dessert dishes. Start with a layer of Apple, followed by crumbled Flaxjack- Almond mixture, then a couple of tablespoons Yoghurt. Then repeat the layers.
- Top with a cube of Flaxjack and other decoration if required. Suggestions Berries, pretty green Mint or Balm leaves or even toasted Almond flakes or Crystallized Ginger.